Wednesday, September 5, 2018

The Gathering

When I found out about a Christian singles retreat, I really felt called to make all attempts to go. The big plus was that it was going to be held in the mountains of North Carolina. I’ve wanted to visit the area, and this was a great opportunity to go. This was also on my short bucket list! I’ve been talking about visiting the state for the last 3 years!

I was going to be attending the gathering. I got to know the person I was riding along with a whole lot better as we traveled. He is the co-leader for a singles small group I was able to start through my church, and I’m pleased to have a great man of God to serve alongside me.

The gathering was located in the perfect setting. It was at a beautiful place in the valley of the mountains.

We were able to go on an excursion to hike up the mountain at Dupont National Forest in Hendersonville, North Carolina. The majestic scene of a huge waterfall was magnificent and well worth every step to get there, although this picture just doesn’t do it the justice it deserves!


At the gathering, everyone (except my co-leader) was a stranger going in, but by the time I left, I found that I had made multiple new friends from around the country, and even one new friend from outside the country!

In fact, I wrote the following statement on Facebook: “I have never met so many loving strangers before in my life! Feeling the love of God! Strangers no more!”

On another note, have you ever seen vultures gathering to feast on a dead animal? The Bible describes them in the following way:

Just as the gathering of vultures shows there is a carcass nearby, so these signs indicate that the end is near.” (Matthew 24:28)

God is preparing the way to Heaven and to Hell. He did not create Hell for mankind, but it doesn’t mean that some people won’t end up there anyway.

He is ready to separate the chaff from the wheat with his winnowing fork. Then he will clean up the threshing area, gathering the wheat into his barn but burning the chaff with never-ending fire.” (Luke 3:17)


I sure want to be found in the wheat, not the chaff. I pray that I will be found working for the Lord when He calls us home to Heaven. Isn’t that where you want to be found, too?

If the Lord had returned while I was at the retreat, I certainly wouldn’t have minded one bit. I would finally be home, and I would see my granddaughter alive! Yet, I have much to accomplish here on this earth, so it wasn’t time just yet to leave that gathering in that way.

The disciples questioned Jesus about the time of the gathering that he spoke of as written in the Holy Bible. Jesus tells them that the angels will be sent first to gather the chosen ones.

Are you chosen? If you have been saved, then you’re chosen and you will be there for the gathering.

And He will send out his angels with the mighty blast of a trumpet, and they will gather his chosen ones from all over the world — from the farthest ends of the earth and heaven.” (Matthew 24:31)

And then:

“For the Lord Himself will come down from heaven with a commanding shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trumpet call of God. First, the Christians who have died will rise from their graves.” (1 Thessalonians 4:16)

Then we will be gathered to enter into the great feast God will have ready for us in Heaven! What an awesome thing to imagine!

... “Come! Gather together for the great banquet God has prepared.” (Revelation 19:17)

If you don’t know if you are saved, or if you don’t understand salvation, please write to me and let’s talk. I am praying for you.

Until we virtually meet again, may God call you to Himself.

God’s Word for Today: Cry out, ‘Save us, O God of our salvation! Gather and rescue us from among the nations, so we can thank your holy name and rejoice and praise you.’ ” (1 Chronicles 16:35)

Copyright © 2018 by Patricia Shehan

All scripture is quoted from various translations of the Holy Bible (God’s Word) with permission. All scriptures are set with italics added (my emphasis).

3 comments:

  1. That's great my new friend! It was so wonderful coming together as believers. It's like a little glimpse of heaven (minus the glory).love ya! May God richly bless you and your ministry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

      Delete
    2. Thank you Michelle, my new friend! It was absolutely very wonderful to have such a large gathering of believers together. I was thinking the same thing: It is like a glimpse of Heaven, but we can encounter the glory here on Earth at times, too. Thank you again for your kind words and blessings! May God also richly bless you in your care of those in the hospital.

      Delete